The Church of Santa Maria della Rocca, one of the most important monuments in Offida, stands on a site which was once considered outside the urban area. Inside the crypt, which spreads along the entire area of the upper floor, there are several brick columns with corner-bevelled capitals supporting pointed and round arches. It still hosts a part of the frescos by the so called ‘Maestro of Offida’, portraying the lives of St. Catherine from Alessandria, St. Lucia and several other Saints and throne Virgins.
The single-nave upper church contains traces of frescos which once fully decorated the walls. The best preserved are those in the apsidal conch that portray prophets, angel players and Saint Virgins.
The main façade, which is a mixture of Greek, Roman and Baroque styles, is characterised by a big central lunette with a mosaic of Our Lady of Assumption added in 1950 for the centenary of the miracle in which Our Lady moved her eyes, still kept inside the church.
The interior, a Latin cross, is divided into three naves and in the middle, close to the apse, there is a cupola in the shape of a small peripteral temple. The aisles host several minor altars decorated with canvasses by well-known local artists.
The crypt hosts a small-scale cave of the Madonna of Lourdes, built using spoils from Mount Ascensione. It is a very evocative place for worship and prayer.
It is a massive brick structure built in the 14th century. On the main façade it is possible to admire the monumental bronze portal, by the local sculptor Aldo Sergiacomi, dating back to 1994, which describes the donation by Longino D’Azzone to the Farfa Benedictines, the story of the Eucharistic Miracle and several Saints.
The interior of the church has a Latin-cross plan, a single nave, enriched with golden capitals. On the side walls there are several niches hosting statues of the Augustinian Saints and minor altars embellished with valuable canvasses. The high marble altar and the via crucis on the side walls are by the sculptor Aldo Sergiacomi. Behind the high altar there is the walnut eighteenth-century choir consisting in two rows of seats by the so called “Master of the Choirs”. From this point it is possible to enter the Chapel of the Eucharistic Miracle.
This structure stands on the outskirts of Offida. The present church dates back to 1893 and it was built on a design by Brother Angelo from Cassiano to honour the memory of Brother Bernardo who had lived there for a long time and where he died on 22nd August 1694.
Inside the church there is Brother Bernardo’s little chamber, where people gather in prayer.