Besides the route in the historical town centre, characterized by important monuments, Offida also offers alternative routes in the countryside. One of them is the itinerary of the rural churches, which have been lately rediscovered and restored.
BEATO BERNARDO’S BIRTHPLACE AND SHRINE
His birthplace, surrounded by Offida quiet countryside, is situated in Contrada Lava N° 183, half way between Offida and Castel di Lama. It belongs to the Order of Offida Capuchins; it has undergone a long restoration work. The project included building a chapel where there used to be a simple storehouse and a house, for the creation of the Beato Bernardo’s Oratory and Museum. Almost an oasis for the spirit, it is surrounded by an area of respect and it has got a yard for the religious celebrations and a parking. It has been restored in its original rural context, a suitably chosen arboreous eco-system. On 22nd August there is the historic commemoration of the threshing.
THE CHURCH OF SAN LAZZARO
This recently renovated little Church, is situated in Contrada San Lazzaro on a slightly higher position than the main road. It has got a rectangular plan, facing west and it consists of a wall surface of exposed brickwork ending with a tympanum. The interior is characterized by a wooden pitched roof and by a classical cornice supported by pilasters.
Next to the church there is a more recent building at the use of the church itself.
THE CHURCH OF SAN BARNABA
Situated in Contrada Tesino, in the homonymous borough of San Barnaba, this church presents a very simple square façade with a stylistic interesting bell tower. Originally the façade presented different characteristics, with a classical-style tympanum, collapsed after an earthquake and never rebuilt. Recently it has undergone some restoration and maintenance works both inside and outside.
THE CHURCH OF SAN NICOLINO
Situated in Contrada Tesino, this church presents some stylistic elements that date it back to the 17th and 18th centuries. It was restored in 1966; it presents a wall surface of exposed brickwork, the pediment supported by square pilasters and a simple portal.
THE CHURCH OF ‘MADONNA DELLA SANITA’
It is a little church surrounded by Offida countryside, in the via Lava area. The main façade, with its classical characteristics, faces south-east. The tympanum cornice contains/hosts a circular rose window; there are also two square pilasters and a pargetted portal on a wall surface of exposed brickwork. From the materials used we can date this church back to around the 17th century.
THE CHURCH OF SAN VENANZIO
It is a little church situated in Contrada Tesino. The façade presents a small bell tower aligned with the portal. From the brick and stone used as materials we can date it back to the 17th and 18th centuries. From the traces of paintings found inside we draw to the conclusion/we can infer that in the past this church was completely frescoed.
THE RURAL CHURCH OF SAN FILIPPO
The rural church of San Filippo, situated in Contrada Ciafone, consists of to different parts, the real church, recognizable from the bell tower, and the rectory. It is a structure planned by the architect Pietro Maggi (who also planned The Serpente Aureo Theatre, the Collegiate Church and the Hospital) and realized between 1791 and 1805. The interior presents a neo-classical style with square pillars, tympanum and mouldings. At present it belongs to the engineer Corrado Speranza who took charge of its restoration and reopening for worship.
RURAL CHURCH "MADONNA DELLO SGUARDO" – FOYER COMMUNITY
It is a very recent little church situated in the Ciafone area. Dedicated to “Madonna dello Sguardo”, the original structure was taken out of a former sheepfold in the years 1976-1977 by Father Manieri who celebrated there the Christmas’s night mass for several years. The new structure, which stands near the original one, dates back to 1996. It presents a quadrangular plan, a double-pitched roof and a rose window.